The Great Escape—Storytelling, Software and the Pleasure of Other Worlds




"You may tune into the universal storehouse of knowledge at will and take from it knowledge which you did not have the previous moment. Every genius and mystic understands this and uses it continually."
 ~ Walter Russell, lectures to IBM executives, 1935

I can’t recall most of my grade school teachers, but my seventh-grade teacher, Mrs. Oscarson, is one I’ll never forget. For Mrs. Oscarson did two things for me that would go on to shape the woman I’d become. First, she assigned a major project—to write a novella. Second, she sent me and a few other kids to coding class instead of math. At the time, I had no idea how the two projects were related and would eventually define my life.

I’d just finished reading, The Clan of the Cave Bear, by Jane M. Auel, and instantly became obsessed with ancient historical fiction. Up to that point I’d been a fantasy girl, and still am, but something about Ayla’s adventures in a world so foreign and so ancient, awakened a desire in me to understand civilizations from the past. When Mrs. Oscarson assigned us our novella, I took on the project with great enthusiasm, enjoying the research as much as the writing. The story itself ended up being some sort of cheeky romance where the main characters fall in love while stranded in the wilderness. However, it was the process that sparked something inside of me, because for the first time in my life, I was creating my own world. I loved being lost in that place, thinking about my story even when I wasn’t writing, and wanting nothing but to get back to the typewriter (yeah, I’m that old) to write the next chapter.

While writing my first novella in English class, during math class I was down in the basement of the school (they seemed to put computers in basements back then) learning to code. It was 1985 and my little Catholic school had been the recipient of a set of Mac IIEs and some money for a computer science teacher. Mrs. McCrae (another teacher I will always remember) was a mom at the school who knew how to code, and she became that school’s first CS teacher. Using BASIC, she taught us how to program, eventually teaching us to use the software for graphic drawings. One of the first assignments she gave us was to write short stories for the kindergarteners, with pictures that would move when they pressed the space bar.

In hindsight, I’m not sure it was a coincidence that my first programming assignments were to tell stories.

Just like my novella, I found that time passed quickly while coding. My software was a world in which I was the ultimate creator. Nothing happened unless I typed it. Of course, sometimes what I typed was nonsense and didn’t work, but even trying to figure out where I went wrong was also an act in which the world around me was suspended, and I was oblivious to the other worries and cares of my life.

When I turned eighteen, I chose to pursue a career in software over storytelling for the plain reason that I wanted to eat. Like it or not, there isn’t a lot of money in storytelling, but even back in the early 90’s, one could make a good living writing software. I love programming as much as I love writing, and the act of writing a story feels the same as writing a program. In both cases time stands still and everything, even the incessant need to go to the bathroom, is forgotten.

I enjoyed working as a software engineer, and when I left it to raise my children, one of the hardest things was losing the chance to dive in and go into the flow. Small children demand to be seen and heard, here and in the now. There’s no escaping them, except when they’re asleep. At first, I would nap when they did, but one day, I decided to write a story instead. What evolved was a renewal of my writing, and it would be this act that gave my intellect the sustenance it needed in order for me to be satisfied at home with the kids. As they moved on to pre-school, I found myself writing more, escaping to worlds that had nothing to do with diapers, discipline or duty.

I’d discovered the power of imagination that underlies storytelling and software development at an early age, but I’ve only recently discovered the key to stepping in and out of those worlds with ease—meditation. Regular time spent in meditation, allowing the mind to rest, and going past the laundry list of life, enables me to switch on my imagination when I need it. I discovered this practice as an attempt to become a more mindful parent. I knew how I didn’t want to parent but had no idea what sort of parent I wanted to be. Jon and Maya Kabat-Zinn’s book, Everyday Blessings, suggested a meditative practice which I have been pursuing for fifteen years since. I still sit down everyday in contemplation, even if I don’t think I have time. Sometimes I can’t seem to relax, and the effort seems useless. Regardless still I seek out solitude, even if for a few minutes, and allow myself to just be.

The practice of regular meditation has taken my ability to imagine and innovate to a level I never understood when I was younger. Yes, I could write code and tell a decent story, and I enjoyed both acts very much. But I was always putting myself on the product, meaning I’d put my intellect in front of my imagination and force the storyline, or the software algorithm, around that end goal. Often this led to forced results, and even though the story was written, or my software compiled and worked, the product wasn’t beautiful, and sometimes the process was fraught with angst and awkwardness, thus destroying the bliss I would feel while creating. Most creators call this a block and when it occurs, we’ll try anything to bust through it.

Meditation has taught me that the way through a block isn’t to bust through, but rather to pullback and find another path. To consider that the block is there because I’ve been travelling down the wrong road in my imagination, and there’s a different solution I have yet to see. One of my favorite modern thinkers, Charles Eisenstein, suggests that rather than telling a story, perhaps we need to get out of the way allow the story to tell itself. I took his advice to heart when writing my latest trilogy and finally, thirty-three years after my first novella in seventh grade, I’ve written a work of ancient fiction that is beautiful and worthy of sharing with the world. (I don’t have an exact pub date, but my publisher, Literary Wanderlust, is shooting to release the first book, Origins, in fall of 2019)

However, the most profound part of this experience was the actual writing of the novel. Instead of planning the entire story, I meditated first, emptying my mind of all that was unnecessary. Once I was empty, I sat at the computer and opened my mind to the story, letting it pour through me. There were days when I didn’t even know what I’d written, and reading it later was a treat, like reading a novel written by someone else. I often didn’t know the next twist and turn. Being lost in such a world was life changing for me. Of course I did plenty of research, the story takes place in Ancient Egypt and in order to build the world I had to understand the culture and politics of that time. But I let the characters tell the story, and this is what made all the difference with regards to the experience. Never once did I have a block, and I actually wrote the first draft of all THREE books in nine months. Thus the Song of the King’s Heart trilogy was born. Such a thing had never happened to me before.

This then, is the reality of a state of flow—not only is it timeless, it is filled with possibilities the knowing mind cannot know.

In 2016, I was recruited to be the interim CTO for a small startup. (I live in the Bay Area, so startups are everywhere, like dandelions in the Midwest) In that role I realized that I still have a love for programming and all things tech. I also realized that in my eighteen years raising my children and focusing on my writing, a lot had changed, and I needed some schooling to be the CTO that was needed. I left that startup and began the process of retraining, taking business classes as well as intro to programming and advanced programming in Java at my local college.

At first the assignments were very easy, this is my second time through after all. I know how to code. But halfway through my first semester, the instructor gave us a meatier assignment. One that required planning, outlines and several functions and classes. In other words, a real program. I approached the work do as I’d often done in my youth, brute forcing my way in, but I found I couldn’t begin. I couldn’t enter that state of flow. As I began to panic, thinking I no longer had the ability to lose myself in the world of bits and bytes, I recalled how I’d approached writing The Song of the King’s Heart trilogy. I left my computer and sat down to meditate. An hour later I went to the desk and wrote my code. It compiled on the second try and worked perfectly within a few hours.

The best part is discovering that the flow of writing stories was the same flow as writing code. That meditation would be the key to entering such a place with ease wasn’t something I’d been taught, but this isn’t new advice. I recently discovered a copy of business lectures given to IBM executives in 1935 by the late thinker, Walter Russell, who had this to say, “Whenever you receive instruction, it will help to convert that information into knowledge more easily if you will give one hour of each day to quiet and reverent meditation in order that you may consciously make a pattern of your life from day to day…you will have many technicians here from universities who will tell you everything about the machines and about the business, but perhaps never again during your term will you hear what I am telling you, so be wise and let it sink deeply into your consciousness.”

Tis true that none of my instructors have yet to advise me to meditate before setting to my work, but I now write all my programs this way and every assignment is a joy. I think after all these years, I’m finally ready to write beautiful and meaningful software, as well as beautiful and meaningful stories. It just took a great diversion down the alternative path of mindful parenting, to become who I really am.


6 comments:

Jason Bennett said...

Omg I Finally Got Helped  !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp +2347012841542

Patricia Donald said...

LOVE SPELL TO BRING BACK EX LOVER AND RESTORE BROKEN RELATIONSHIPS, WhatsApp +2347059387282

I want to thank Dr Ogaga of ogagaspellcastertemple@gmail.com for making me happy in getting my ex lover back after broken up with me last month, i contacted this spell Dr for help and his work was guarantee that i was going to get my ex lover back after 48 hours, although i doubted his words but i decided to give it a try by co-operating with his terms, i did not only get back my ex lover after the spell, but i was also promoted in my place of work, i thank this powerful and trusted Dr who helped me found joy in my relationship, and me and my ex who is now my lover again is getting married on the 30th of next month, i am so happy that at least i am with my lover again after all the pains and stress i being through when he first broke-up with me, i thank Dr Ogaga i am so so happy i love my lover so much that i was almost end my life when he told me that it was over between both of us, but i thank the spell caster send by God in heaven to help his people, i am grateful Dr Ogaga i am proud to know these spell Dr i am happy that he help me with my problems, for making my life see joy and happiness again, i am happy for his kindness, i am so happy, so i decided to share my story on the net so that people will see the good which Dr Ogaga has done for me in my life, and if you are out there passing through any condition, or having bad time with your lover, or your lover has broke up with you, do not think than to contact the same spell caster on his email ogagaspellcastertemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2347059387282 and you will consider your problem solve. Thanks Dr Ogaga and i pray you will live long forever because you are so kind and powerful.


Text & Call or WhatsApp: +2347059387282

Email: ogagaspellcastertemple@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Thanks Dr PRINCE IDIALU for the restoration of my marriage. We have been separated for a 2 years. We started talking about reconciliation. It was something we both didn’t plan. I started searching on the net for people who God restored their marriages and I found Dr PRINCE IDIALU the great spell caster how he has help so many relationship by his spell casting with his contact ,then i contact him for help suddenly after the spell casting my husband return back home 2 days after the spell casting and ask for forgiveness and now we are living together happily once again thank you Dr PRINCE IDIALU for your help.Any stander out there having such problem should email Dr PRINCE IDIALU and he will help you via:princeidialu@outlook.com or directly on whats-app +1(504)603-3666//

Unknown said...

I have been married for four 4years and on the fifth year of my marriage, another woman had a spell to take my lover away from me and my husband left me and the kids. We have be suffering until I meet a post where this man DR PRINCE IDIALU who have helped someone and I decided to give him a try to help me bring my Husband home and believe me I just send my picture to him and that of my husband and after 3 days as he has promised me though my husband came back before the 3days, my husband drove home by his self apologizing that I should forgive him, now my husband has show me love more than ever I am happy knowing DR PRINCE IDIALU, . are you having a similar problem contact him also at princeidialu@outlook.com or call or whatsaap +1(504)603-3666.he will help you

Felipe Dylan said...

To anyone out there who thinks love spells don't work, I’m here to tell you that Lord Zakuza love spell is the best and most powerful. I am a wealthy man who has lots of assets and possessions but I have difficulty with women. Whenever I try to settle down with any, we end up breaking up and I had no idea of why I was going through such an experience in my relationship. It was so worrying that I couldn’t be myself anymore and I started searching for help everywhere even at my place of work. I was going through my work activities online and I came across a testimony of a lady called ( Febe Anouk ) regarding how Lord Zakuza helped her to restore her relationship with his love spell, I had to give it a try because I needed my Ex lover back that I love so much. I visited Lord Zakuza website online and I told him everything I was going through. Lord Zakuza consoled me and promised to help me out with my situation by preparing a love spell for me. I followed the instructions given by him to me and within 48 hours, my Ex lover came looking for me and pleaded for forgiveness. Since I came in contact with Lord Zakuza, things have changed for good in my life and right now, I am married with two beautiful kids and my home is blessed. All thanks to Lord Zakuza I am forever thankful to you. Visit his website for any help via lordzakuzaspells.com or WhatsApp him on +1 740-573-9483. Try him and your life will be blessed.

Anonymous said...

I am very excited and thankful to DR ISIRAMEN for his Great work in my relationship. I never knew people still have powers and make things happened this away. My name is Veronica, my boyfriend Gabriel left me for 2 years .he was having an affair online and sending pictures. he said he is unhappy and has been for awhile now. He don't love me anymore. He has moved out for about a month now ever since then my life have been filled with pains, sorrow and heart break because he was my first love who broke my virginity when I was 24 years old about two years old. a friend of mine, Natasha told me she saw some testimonies of this great DR ISIRAMEN that he can bring back my lover within 48 hours. I laugh out and said I am not interested but because of the love I had for him, I contacted the powerful doctor, he assured me that my lover is going to call me within 3days.To my greatest surprise my boyfriend called me for the first time after 2 years that he is missing me badly and that he is very sorry for everything he made me pass through. I still can't believe it just too real to be real. Than you DR ISIRAMEN for bringing back my lover, for any one who might need the help of this great doctor here is the email: drisiramen@hotmail.com or call or wha+17072613058 to solve your problem